GARDEN DETAILS



WELCOME TO THE FURTHER ADVENTURES OF MY GARDEN...

Saturday, March 28, 2009

ZONAL DENIAL


Compared to the economy my garden fared pretty well this past winter. On the other hand, this is one of the worst winters I've seen in the past 30 years and a quick walk through the flower beds between showers reveals plants that may not make it.

Of course this is because I suffer from a terminal case of Zonal Denial. According to the FDA Port Orchard is in zone 8b, and what with global warming I figured maybe a few palm trees might be appropriate. For awhile there I saw palm trees everywhere I looked around Seattle and even Port Orchard.

For the past few years we had mild winters and then early in December we were hit with a snow storm, which dumped 18 inches on the garden, followed by days of temperatures below freezing. In fact, it got down into the teens on a few nights.

We protected the most fragile plants with little tents, which made the back yard look like a campground. However, there were some plants that were just a little too big to cover. In the corner of the upper garden was a large phormium (native to New Zealand) which had finally developed into this six by six foot giant with olive colored leaves with pink edges. It had become one of my favorite plants this past summer, but now it looks like it may be dead. Right next to it is a Rosemary plant that Joyce bought at Costco a few years ago. It was a little topiary that she got at Christmas time shaped like a miniture Christmas tree. After it started looking bedraggled from being inside I transplanted it outside where it grew into a sprawling clump of fragrance covered with blue flowers for part of the summer. All but a small bit of it is dried out and brown. I have my doubts about the survival of this plant. Funny thing is, there is another Rosemary on the other side of the Phormium and it's fine. Go figure. Could be a different variety, or maybe the other one had better shelter.

It goes to show, we take risks when we make assumptions about global warming. In a place like Western Washington we may have colder winters and rainy summers as a result of climate change instead of warmer weather in general. And I think I kind of knew all along that my garden is closer to being in zone 7 rather than 8 because of the altitude and the distance from the water. Still, even within the confines of the garden, there are colder places than others. Little microclimates where that palm will do just fine and maybe the Phormium would have survived.

Part of what I like about gardening is that there is no sure thing. That, and the fact that change is constant. If something doesn't make it, then an opportunity opens up to fill the spot with something else that may do better. I think I'll try something from Siberia this time though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

MY CURRENT TOP FIVE BOOKS ON GARDENING

  • 1. Little and Lewis a Garden Gallery
  • 2. Exotic Planting for Adventurous Gardeners - Chrisopher Lloyd and friends
  • 3. Designing with Plants - Piet Oudolf
  • 4. Tropical Garden Design - Made Wijaya
  • 5.The Elements of Organic Gardening - HRH The Prince of Wales

Followers