GARDEN DETAILS



WELCOME TO THE FURTHER ADVENTURES OF MY GARDEN...

Saturday, March 28, 2009

WILL THE SUN EVER SHINE AGAIN?

I am sitting here watching a steady downpour through the windows in the living room. I'm
ready to get my hands dirty, but winter just won't let go. I think I saw the sun last week for a couple of hours before it started raining again, but of course the weekend is here, so it must rain or it wouldn't be Puget Sound.

I compulsively check out the weather report in other parts of the country and find out that the sun is shining in Spokane, Valencia, Los Angeles and no doubt in a million other places that aren't Seattle. I've got a long list of garden tasks to complete, including getting some vegetables planted, pots of plants out on the patio that need to be set in, pruning, trimming, raking, mowing etc etc. And here I sit blogging about my garden instead of working in it.

An article I read in Garden Design magazine the other day on Global Warming / Climate Change, informs me that while they will be able to grow Magnolias in New York and that they will need to plant more drought tolerant plants in the south, the Northwest will change the least, except it will probably rain more around here. I think I'll start a moss garden. I've already got a good start on the garage roof. All I have to do is pull it off the roof and let it grow on the ground. Oh, and the horse barn now features both moss and ferns. Green roofs are all the rage these days. Fortunately for us, all we have to do is nothing and our roofs grow all kinds of plants without any work on our part. I'm picturing my yard as something like the Olympic Rain forest in years to come. Of course it is beautiful, but oh so wet!

2 comments:

  1. I've always been fond of your beautiful roof moss garden. It's LUSH!

    Funny blog, Dad. I hope you get some sun soon. The rain is finally here. Just in time for Bella's birthday party and our big move. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man you are a dork! Have you seen those living roofs? That would be so cool. Nice work on two blogs.

    ReplyDelete

MY CURRENT TOP FIVE BOOKS ON GARDENING

  • 1. Little and Lewis a Garden Gallery
  • 2. Exotic Planting for Adventurous Gardeners - Chrisopher Lloyd and friends
  • 3. Designing with Plants - Piet Oudolf
  • 4. Tropical Garden Design - Made Wijaya
  • 5.The Elements of Organic Gardening - HRH The Prince of Wales

Followers